Sunday, November 27, 2011

The problem with self-reflection....

For a few months I have been trying to process the how and why of the past five years. I reflect on going to college: how I changed while I was there, the people I met, decisions I made (both smart and not so smart), etc. I've had a lot of time for thinking. The more time I spent trying to understand God's purpose the more frustrated I got.

It's important every once in a while to reflect, to think things through, discern the next stepping stone in your life, all that jazz. But self-reflection can harm us; make us think our every decision and move is more important than the needs of the people around us. It's not good when self-reflection leads to self-absorption. This sounds stupid, but healthy self-reflection isn't just with yourself. It includes God, his word, and prayer. You just get to a point when you need to let things go. Most of my agonizing in the past six months could have been reduced by just asking, "How can you use me where I am, now?" and "Where do I go from here?"

No comments: